Generic Priligy (Dapoxetine) for Premature Ejaculation
The drug contains one active ingredient Dapoxetine and also known to general public under its another brand name Westoxetin. Originally this compound was developed as an ordinary antidepressant that was supposed to compete against the likes of fluoxetine and paroxetine. As a member of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, the drug had been reinforcing its developers with the idea that the new highly effective antidepressant is on the horizon and it can change the industry.
Dapoxetine demonstrated an incredible effectiveness and highly active pharmacodynamics. However, the half-life of the compound in the body was very short rendering its potential medical applications as an antidepressant minimal. During the earliest stages of development, a group of scientists behind this compound also proposed the idea that the drug could be used as a solution for premature ejaculation due to its immediate effect and distinct pharmacological mechanism of action.
Clinical trials as well as a decade of market activity made clear that Priligy is a highly resultative medication with a huge potential. It can actually be used as an effective treatment for patients with lifelong PE as well as in some cases of acquired PE which is less responsive to various types of targeted therapy due to having an indistinct nature. Priligy demonstrated that its effect is reliable. Today, this is one of the most successful and frequently purchased drug for PE. There are various brands and medications that contain this compound and the drug itself is available in both branded and generic forms in over 50 countries of the world.
How Does Dapoxetine Work?
Dapoxetine has a very vague mechanism of action. We still don’t fully understand how this drug manages to improve one’s ejaculatory latency, but it undeniably does according to various independent clinical trials. The effectiveness of the drug was initially proved during placebo-controlled tests that have been conducted in the beginning of 2000s.
Trials were successful and allowed for a number of important findings.
- The dose of the drug dramatically alters its effectiveness for men with lifelong premature ejaculation improving their control over ejaculation considerably. This observation was made during trials with men aged from 18 to 64 with lifelong PE issues.
- The standard dosage of Priligy is 30mg per intake. This amount is more than enough for men with acquired condition. For such patients changing the dosage does not make any difference.
- It was noted that the drug was extremely effective for men whose PE problems had roots in low self-esteem, distress, and difficulties in their relationships.
- Dapoxetine is effective right after the intake and does not have to be taken for several weeks before it starts working unlike many other alternatives that have been marketed as solutions for PE in the US. Examples are paroxetine and fluoxetine; both are effective SSRIs. However, they reach their effectiveness only after accumulating in the body for a considerable amount of time meaning that using them is dangerous in the long run and may lead to addiction.
One of the most advantageous merits of Dapoxetine is that it has favorable pharmacodynamics and can be adsorbed and processed within the body extremely quickly. It does not accumulate and does not have to be used weeks prior in order to show its effect. This means that you won’t develop an undesired addiction. This is extremely important for men who would like to avoid using antidepressants that may be dangerous but still would like to try a drug that could dramatically improve their sexual life.
The pharmacological mechanism of the drug is, as aforementioned, unclear. We do know that the drug increases the action of serotonin during both presynaptic and postsynaptic receptors. These are regulated by CNS areas that we have not yet determined. We do know that the ejaculation is a process induced by reflexes from spinal cord which is activated by the stimulation of the penis. Now the reflex is then processed by our brain. One of the most detailed studies of Dapoxetine claim that the drug affects the LPGi neurons which are responsible for managing the reflex. While we vaguely understand the process and its key components, we do not know whether the drug affects neurons directly or pathways to them. This information is crucial for the industry in order to develop similar to Dapoxetine drugs with an enhanced effect.
As of now, we do not possess enough information to create a superior drug. Dapoxetine remains as one of the most effective solutions for a distinct PE problem. Time-tested and available to millions of men all over the world, Priligy is the drug that definitely deserves more attention from both customers and drug developers.
What Priligy Does to Your Body?
Dapoxetine’s pharmacokinetics are well studied. The medication is usually sold in powder or pills. Both are insoluble. The administration method is by mouth. The drug is then adsorbed by our organism and starts concentrating in Plasma reaching its maximum concentration in roughly 2 hours after the initial intake. The maximum amount of the drug in plasma depends on the dosage and may vary greatly. Due to its quick adsorption, you can easily take the drug with or without food.
As mentioned previously, Priligy has a very distinct advantage when it comes to pharmacodynamics and one of them is how it passes the metabolism. The drug is extensively metabolized both in kidney and liver allowing for quick removal of byproducts of the metabolism. Dapoxetine is usually expelled from the body within 18-22 hours depending on the dosage. The byproducts of the metabolism are rountinely removed with urine. The terminal half-life of the drug is really low and does not allow for rapid accumulation of the drug in the body resulting in less adverse effects and problems that may be related to overdosing.
What You Should Know Before Using This Drug
While Dapoxetine is a drug that has been thoroughly studied by multiple researchers and developers over the course of the last decade, its full list of adverse effects and possible negative interactions with other medications is still being expanded to date. There are various limitations to who can use the drug safely.
These limitations include both generic ones applicable to the vast majority of prescribed drugs and specific ones.
- This is the number one concern that should be addressed by a patient. If you are allergic to either Dapoxetine or inactive ingredients listed in the contains of the drug, you should avoid using Priligy.
- Heart problems. A history of heart failures and other negative conditions of your cardiovascular system is something that should be taken seriously. You should try to avoid sexual activities anyways. Using drugs like Dapoxetine is dangerous.
- You should not use Priligy if you have problems with kidney of liver. Both these organs are responsible for normal metabolic procession of the drug which can be dangerous when accumulated without proper metabolism.
- Use carefully or avoid altogether if you are using special drugs for depression like MAOIs and other SSRIs. Drugs against schizophrenia and bipolar disorder also conflict with Dapoxetine. Priligy is an SSRI in the first place and respective cautious should be employed.
- If you have a history of fainting, severe depression, various types of mania, and other similar psychological disorders, you should avoid using Priligy altogether.
- Other medical conditions that usually conflict with Priligy are high eye pressure (glaucoma), epilepsy, blood clothing, and bleeding.
Note that a safe period of total removal of the drug from your body is 7 days. You should wait for at least after the intake before you can use any of prescribed drugs that may be conflicting with Dapoxetine.
The list of medications that interact with Priligy includes the following:
- This is a drug often used to treat schizophrenia and similar disorders. Another similar drug that you should avoid is Lithium which is usually used against bipolar disorder.
- Tryptophan is a medication against sleep deprivation that is quite popular. There are similar drugs from the same pharmacological family that also should be used carefully.
- Antifungal drugs like ketoconazole and itraconazole are incompatible with Dapoxetine.
- Antiviral drugs like Nelfinavir and Atazanavir or Ritonavir are often used to treat HIV and other viruses.
- A wide selection of powerful antibiotics of wide spectrum including telithromycin and clarithromycin.
It is highly important to understand that the drug is not recommended for usage by those patients who we not diagnosed with genuine premature ejaculation. Also note that despite being paired with PDE5 inhibitors, the drug is not recommended for people with ED or low blood pressure. Both Dapoxetine and PDE5 inhibitors are vasodilators that can lower the blood pressure to dangerously low levels. You must be very careful with dosages in order to avoid problems with your blood vessel system.
Other Important Notes
Priligy is a drug that can be used together with many various medications but you must be careful. Before taking Priligy, you should definitely contact your medical health provider and report that you are going to use the drug. It is imperative if you are also using other prescribed medications.
Here is an incomplete list of medical preparations that you should be concerned about when using Priligy:
- Drugs for erectile dysfunction including vastly popular Cialis (Tadalafil), Viagra (Sildenafil), Levitra (Vardenafil), and their generic versions as well as other PDE5 inhibitors excluded from this list.
- Drugs that are used to treat angina and high blood pressure. These are usually nitrates and other vasodilators. Amongst the most popular drugs are Verapamil or Diltiazem.
- Medications against nausea. The list is very specific and includes Aprepitant and drugs from its family.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications like Ibuprofen.
It is strongly discouraged to use the drug together with alcohol and/or recreational drugs including marijuana. The vast majority of aphrodisiacs, recreational drugs, and alcohol are minor vasodilators and lower your blood pressure. Combined with other drugs that may act in the same fashion, these drugs can be extremely dangerous.