Ivermectin 3/6/12mg (Generic Stromectol): Antihelmintic Drug
Stromectol generic or Ivermectin is globally known as an effective prescription medication for getting rid of diversified infections caused by parasites. It is available in two versions – a brand name one marketed as Stromectol and a generic one, which is usually sold as Ivermectin. You can safely choose any of these two versions (we will return to this issue below).
Also, one should mention that this medication is manufactured in two formats ― oral pills and a topical cream. In this material, we will focus on its oral form.
Why Do Most Customers Buy Generic Stromectol Instead of Brand-name Pills?
Both generic Ivermectin and brand Stromectol are two identical drugs, the only two differences are their manufacturers and the names under which they are sold. The active ingredient and the doses are the same, which means that they work identically.
However, due to the fact that those companies, which make generics, do not spend finances on research and patenting, they can set much lower prices without compromising the safety and quality of their products. And that allows customers to dramatically reduce their drug expenses ― by 50% and more.
If you decide to buy generic Ivermectin instead of the brand drug, you can choose any product from any manufacturer. Search by the name of the active ingredient ― Ivermectin ― and the dosage needed. In case you have any doubts, check indications (you can find this information in the leaflet or ask a pharmacist).
When Do Doctors Prescribe This Drug?
This medication is characterized by an extensive field of use. Namely, it is applied to remove such types of parasites and diseases:
- lymphatic filariasis;
In the cases above, doctors recommend Ivermectin oral tablets. However, as we have noted above, it is also produced in the form of cream for external use and applied to overcome the following health issues:
- head lice;
Another point worth clarifying – in recent years, there were a lot of speculations about the effectiveness of this medication for Covid treatment. However, there is no factual evidence, which can support this hypothesis. Today, medical experts keep on studying and discussing this idea. And, as of now, it is strictly forbidden to apply this drug for treating any forms of coronavirus 2019 since it is not currently approved by any medical authorities in any country. Thus, do not put your health at risk and do not take this medication without getting a prescription from your doctor. Such self-treatment can lead to severe and even fatal health consequences. In addition, Ivermectin is often used in veterinary medicine – in most cases, to treat and prevent heartworm, acariasis, and other infections in dogs, cats, and ruminant domestic animals.
How Does Ivermectin (Stromectol) Medication Work?
Its mechanism of action implies blocking the nervous and muscle functions of parasites. Eventually, that leads to their death.
Basic Recommendations on the Use of Ivermectin Pills
- You must take it in strict correspondence with your doctor’s instructions.
- You should never exceed the dose prescribed as that may intensify toxic reactions caused by the death of parasites and other side effects.
- There are two dosages to choose from ― 3 mg and 6 mg. If your doctor has prescribed you a single dose of 3 mg, do not try to buy 6 mg pills and divide them into halves. As a result, you will get two (or more) particles of different sizes, and it will be impossible to determine how much active substance each of them contains. Remember that, to get the best results out of the therapy, you must use exact doses.
- For most infections, one dose is enough. At the same time, this dose can include up to 6 pills.
- An exception is onchocerciasis treatment. In such cases, a standard course comprises two doses ― the second one is taken in 6–12 months after the first one.
- Another crucial recommendation is to use these tablets on an empty stomach and to refrain from any meals for at least 1 hour after an intake. In addition, identically to any other medicines in the form of tablets, one must follow Ivermectin pills with a glass of water so that they are quickly and effectively dissolved in the stomach.
Is Ivermectin Toxic?
There is a strong prejudice that all (or at least most) anthelmintic medications are toxic to a patient’s organism. However, in practice, Stromectol itself does not have any toxic effects. All the toxic reactions associated with its use are caused by the vital functions and death of parasites.
One should remember that parasite infections are extremely dangerous, especially to people with a weakened immune system. Hence, if a doctor has prescribed it, a patient must go through the entire course without any violations despite any adverse effects (although, if there are any negative reactions, one must turn for medical consultation to make sure that it is safe to continue the therapy).
When Is It Unsafe to Apply This Medication?
Again, the main rule one should obligatorily stick to is visiting a doctor before trying this medicine. Sure, during such a consultation, a medical specialist asks a wide range of questions to ensure that a patient does not have any contraindications. Still, let us name the key points one should inform his doctor about:
- bodyweight under 15 kg (for children);
- pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- allergies to any foods, medications, food supplements, and auxiliary components used for medicines (like preservatives or flavorings);
- taking Ivermectin or other antiparasitic medicines in the past;
- using any other medications or food supplements at the current moment;
- suffering from any health problems (the focus is on liver diseases).
Possible Side Effects
The most frequent negative reactions patients notice are fever, skin itching, and rashes. Besides, after taking these pills, one may feel dizzy, sleepy, exhausted and suffer from headaches, digestive problems (pains, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea), swelling in the legs, joint pains. Also, if one uses this drug for treating eye parasite infections, that may result in such adverse reactions as redness, swelling, itching, or pain in the eyes or sight issues.
The severity of side effects depends on the individual peculiarities of a patient’s organism, as well as on the type of infection and the number of parasites. The heavier the infection is, the higher is the risk of hard toxic reactions. However, in many cases, this therapy is life-saving, so its benefits overweigh all the discomfort.
Key Safety Precautions
- You must use this medicine only on your doctor’s recommendation.
- You should not change the dose prescribed.
- You must not stop the course due to adverse reactions without receiving approval from your doctor.
- You should always inform a medical specialist about any adverse reactions you face.
- You must warn your doctor if you get pregnant during the course of this drug.
- You must not take any medications or herbal supplements together with Ivermectin without discussing that with your doctor or a pharmacist.
- Keep in mind that Ivermectin may cause headaches, dizziness, tiredness, sleepiness, that is why it is better to refrain from any activities, which require alertness, such as cycling, driving, and working with dangerous machines (at least until you make sure that you do not experience these side effects).
- Consequently, you should also avoid alcohol and marijuana during a Stromectol course as that can make you even more dizzy and sleepy. In case you need cannabis products for medical purposes, turn to your doctor for advice.
- To ensure the effectiveness and safety of the drug, store it in compliance with the following recommendations: choose a cool, dark, and dry place with a temperature below 30°C and keep it in a blister until an intake.
All articles, promotions, descriptions provided on this page and website are posted only for users’ acknowledgment and cannot be considered a medical source for consulting or addressing health concerns. Materials, descriptions, photos, videos are protected with copyright and are not subject to promotional or commercial purposes without receiving our previous permission. Once one managed to use them, this event may lead to legal proceedings. The same concerns trademarks, and logos, they cannot be used without our consent. Please, note all drugs described on this website are only for one’s general information We insist that a consultation with a doctor or healthcare provider is a must. If you believe you experience side effects after the drug intake, please seek an emergency immediately.